View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
I watched my Dad crack several ribs, years ago, saving his bamboo Orvis Madison. Decending a shelf of slippery rock up in Maine, lost his footing, crashed heavily, slid down a bunch of wet shale, rod held high.
Hi Nick,

Besides fly fishing I used to hunt grouse in the mountains of Pennsylvania. I had one of the first run Ruger Red Label 12 gage shotguns sold in the area. Although the Ruger was not a piece of wood work like a Belgium Browning I never put a scratch on that gun and grouse cover can be a real trial for that. The same goes for my deer hunting rifles, all the rocky hills all the snow and ice and plenty of spills but never did my rifle hit the ground.

About ten years ago I stepped onto a big old limestone boulder placed along with many others to hold back erosion on a favorite trout stream. I was wearing a pair of Orvis Henry's Fork boots with cleated rubber soles. I loved that boot and they had never slipped on me. What I found out was that on a big slab of hard rock the cleats kept the rubber from contacting the road so to say and................ In my right hand I clutched an Orvis bamboo flea rod. Not just any Flea but a custom build by Ron White (retired) of the Orvis bamboo shop. I hit hard, and bounced from boulder to boulder until my feet somehow landed in the creek and I was still upright after crooning through the giant rocks. I don't know where the rod and reel were during my short but furious trip to the waters edge but they survived as if there had been nothing out of the ordinary happen. I think the knack of protecting equipment comes from being raised by a survivor of the Normandy Landing & Battle of The Bulge. My dad had a thing about taking care of a rifle and he taught that to me. Then it was just second nature to transpose that learning to the rods. When you think of it a fly rod is to a fly fisherman as the rifle is to the hunter.....

You can tell your dad I admire his tenacity in protecting that rod.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;