View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 04:33 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Winston Boron IIt vs Scott G2, 3wt, others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor16 View Post
I'm looking to add to my current Clearwater 5wt and can't seem to decide which way to go with respect to some of the rods mentioned in this exact thread. I'll be fishing the driftless region of iowa/minnesota so a 3wt 7'6" seems appropriate.

Any quick thoughts about the Winston WT, Scott G2, Sage ZXL and the Orvis Superfine?
All the rods you state are good choices. I have a WT, ZXL and the Orvis Superfine in 4wt & like them all. They all have lot of similarity yet also have slight nuances that help them stand apart from each other.

If I did not have these 3 or had to do it over, I would have opted for the Redington CT. They can be found on sale for ~130$, so are almost 1/4th the price of the other brands. Read some of the reviews on the CT series on this site, you will like them for the Driftless area waters. Plus the money you save, can be used towards gas, flies (if you don't tie) or even a guide.

At the risk of sounding pedantic:
I love rods & reels from the high end manufacturers since they provide so much aesthetic enjoyment. There is something immensely joyful seeing the glossy richly colored (burgundy for the ZXL, green on he WT) blank glisten in the sunlight. Everything is perfect in the construction and the actions are terrific.

Having said that, one of the most satisfying times I have had in recent memory was fishing small mountain streams with a Redington CT. I was back country camping so having a relatively cheaper rod was great. With the Redington, I was able to cast with very little fly line out the tip and was not worried all the time about damaging (scratching or breaking) the rod while scrambling over the stream side boulders & flora. It worked perfectly for dry, dry-dropper & a weighted nymph. I even cast a size 8 w bugger at one of the deeper pools. I could focus on making good presentations with the fly (even in tight spaces) and to be completely frank did not find the rod lacking in any manner in terms of the hook set, how the fish felt on the tip etc.

Last edited by mysticm; 06-15-2012 at 05:16 AM.