Thread: Im back...
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 03:54 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im back...

Bloody Well time!

You're in MoanTana and not filling us up with .. fished here and OH MY GOD'S.'

Kidding aside, 'welcome back.' But just my .02 cents ... UNIVERSITY!!!!!!! You can always fish, but getting a good education is a whole different game. (Pun intended.)

Fred

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Let me repeat myself:

UNIVERSITY.

U of M in Mosul la ... stay out of the Tav's/bars, place is over run with the damned things. Hell man you've got at least three rivers that come to mind in less than a hours drive from your dorm room.

But think of it in another way ... Guiding is a part time job and lots of luck paying your bills/rent. An education, Ahhhhh a good education. A skill set that 'sells' in the real world.

True, we're in 'Interesting times' at the moment, but by time you graduate this will be an interesting history lesson to argue with your 400 level Econ Instructor. Bye the Bye have a Master's in that, and most don't know ship from shinola in terms of the 'real world.' I'll spare you a 'one on one' with one of my Professors (he had a Ph,D and a 600 level course) and had never worked a day in his life out side of academia. To shorten this up, he didn't like me challenging him every step of the way, flat telling him in front of the class "Total Horse Feathers, find/tell me one verifiable place that what you just said really works in the real World."

At one point, I was already employed supporting wife/two kids, told him if he was really strong in the 'righness' of his opin's, I'll set it up that you take over my job for 30 days and tell me what you think?

Final exam was interesting; read the question(s) and the 'premises' was total horse droppings. Answer to one of the questions was (to the effect) "You really believe-teach this Bull Ship? God Spare your next class. Teach these folks real life, not something out of a text book." Tossed the final on his desk and walked out. He caught up with me and 'Can we talk?'

Killed the rest of the hour and he and I went out and 'had beers.' He bought the first, I bought the second, etc .. actually I think both of us got a bit plastered (to use an old guys term). Got an 'A.' But your mileage may vary as a Freshman. ;>)

Just don't drink the KoolAid that's being spooned out: THINK FOR YOURSELF.

To be truthful, it gets easier (and people pay more attention) as you get older. Last degree included a class on 'Marketing,' as in selling/buying things. The mid-term was (buy) a guy had three choices of buying properties that appealed (one degree or another) to tourests. Here's the out line of one and the others. "Which should he buy?"

My answer? NONE! The only question of one vs the other was how soon did he go into Bankruptcy. Wrote a detailed 'Oh Dear God' on all three as to the 'why.'

Turned paper in and the next day 'Do you have a moment?' 'Sure, what's up?'

"I've never had anyone answer this question this way, how did you know?"

"I'm a VP in charge of Credit risk management that lends on these types of transactions every day."

Couple of days later I was (for the next couple of classes) teaching same.

End game, as to why my answer?

Mortgage payment 'monthly nut' was 'x.'

You had a variable cash flow (plus on going expenses for this/that) that was good in the Summer .. winter (these were recreational visitation areas) was highly questionable.

But the end game was all three properties were up for sale because the present owner was already under water and needed to bail.

Fred

Last edited by fredaevans; 06-17-2012 at 04:29 PM.