View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: stealhead questions

Boy, Trout...your questions 2-4 kinda require an answer for #1 first. Once you identify the water the other answers will fall out. My question would be "how would YOU like to fish for them?"

There are smaller waters here in Ca that I fish with a 9'6" 5wt 1 hander, nymphing almost all the time. Many guys ONLY swing flies on the same water and they use anything from a 1 hander to a spey. On bigger waters and coastal streams I swing flies a lot more than I nymph, and there's a lot of switch/spey on those for sure...and I've got a 7 or 8wt in hand.

I've fished a switch for steelies a few times and really think that's a great answer when wading. Not so much from a drift boat.

I think you'll get some great info here. Remember there are a lot of opinionated folks who are attracted to these fish and most of their opinions, while somewhat conflicting, are probably correct in the context of where and how they fish.

Good luck...it's an addiction issue for many, this steelie thing...-Mike