Thread: Future Guide
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 06:28 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Future Guide

The best training you could do is pretend to be a guide for friends.

Take them out, tell them where to cast, make them a shore lunch (cook or bring a cooler with food), and most importantly DON'T FISH! As soon as you have a rod in your hands, you're no longer going to be focusing on your "client".

Keep in mind that being a guide is like being a "coach". You're no longer a player. You are coaching them to catch fish and if the day is such that the fish aren't cooperating, you're now the entertainment too. Try and teach them something new like a new technique, new casting stroke, critique their cast, etc. This way, even if they don't end up catching a fish, they come out with something.

Every client is completely different too. You're going to get newbies that need full attention, you'll get the "know-it-alls" that think they're the greatest thing on earth, you'll get the humble ones who don't care about catching fish, you'll get the "know-it-alls" that don't know much, and you'll get the really good anglers who might be better than you are in one way or another. It's part of what keeps it interesting!

Lastly, you don't know your client's situation. They're paying you good money, so make it worth their while. Go above and WAY beyond! They could have saved for a couple years to come fish your area. You don't know so make it worth their while. If you go out and are constantly looking at the clock and don't want to be out there, they're going to pick up on that and make their experience not what it should be. If you don't get home in time to watch your sitcom, boo-hoo, you made someone's day!...and you should probably get PVR/TiVo if you're that concerned about missing an episode. lol

Guiding is a fantastic time, but it's definitely not for everyone. Best advice, hire a guide for the day and see what it's all about. Ask them a million questions. Doing this is WAY cheaper and WAY more effective than going to "guide school".

Nick

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehragsdale View Post
I am an avid fly fisher and want to take my fishing to the next level. I would love to spend a few years guiding once I'm done with school.
To answer this more directly, it won't necessarily help your fly fishing skills but it will help your teaching skills. You will however pick up a lot of tips and skills from your clients. Remember, being a guide is like being a "coach". You're no longer playing on the field as a player.