Thread: Vices
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 09:23 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Vices

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccola712 View Post
Hello everyone, Just joined but I'm already loving what I've read so far.

I've been tying trout flies for about a year and just upgraded my vise to a Renzetti Clouser, the guys at my local fly shop ranted and raved about it. I've used it a bit since I've gotten it, but it's taking some getting used to the horizontal jaws. Does anyone have any recommendations for better access to the curve of the hook or it something that will just come with time? Or should I just take it back and get one with a pair of angled jaws? Thanks for the help!
My gut reaction is if you are planning to spend the vast majority of your time tying trout flies, especially those in smaller (under size 12) sizes, you should return the vise and switch to a Traveler (if you want to stay with a Renzetti) or if rotary style tying isn't anything you're interested in, buy a Regal or other fixed position vise. My recommendation would be a Regal Travel or a Medallion Regal Fly Tying Vise - Catalog if you have that much to spend, then select a jaw set that meets your needs for hook size range.

Learning is tough enough- having the disadvantage of being unable to get your hands into a comfortable position only complicates things more. Decades ago, I started tying on a Thompson Model A dhthompson.com, mainly because THAT'S WHAT WAS available! But I later upgraded to a Regal and while I do own a Renzetti Traveler, I tie the lion's share of my flies on a Regal. (that amounts to thousands of dozens)

If you ever get to a show and see tyers who use a Regal, you will notice the paint is almost always worn off on the back of the head... and if you watch someone tie on one long enough, you'll see why- it's common to rest your "off hand" there while tying in tail material, or applying rib or other body materials... it's just a comfortable vise to tie on. And if the midge head works for you, there is PLENTY of room to get around the bend of the hook.

Just make sure you learn how to properly mount a hook in the vise or you run the risk of "launching" a hook across the room (and later finding it in your foot) or chipping the jaws... the catalog above shows you the proper way to seat a hook, and once it's in there, it AIN'T GOING NOWHERE!!

Welcome to the fold