View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 11:02 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: arkansas small streams

Unlike Missouri, there is very little if any consistent small stream trout fishing in AR. The Little Red can be pretty small when they are not generating, but it's still a tailwater fishery and can be big when they are generating. The White and North Fork are tailwaters. About the only real non-tailwater trout stream is the Spring River near the AR-MO border, and even it wouldn't be classified as a small, wading type stream. The difference between AR and MO is in the lack of good sized springs in the Arkansas Ozarks and Ouachitas. Missouri has a lot more significant springs, which keep sections of a number of different rivers and creeks cool enough to support trout year-round.

There are a couple of supposedly well-guarded secret trout creeks in AR. I know one of them, though I haven't ever tried to fish it, so I don't know if it really has a fishable population of trout or whether it's just rumor. And trout often move up into warm water creeks running into the White River during the cold weather months, furnishing some inconsistent and seasonal fishing. I just talked to a guy who said they run up Crooked Creek for many miles, and I've heard that the forks of Sylamore Creek often have trout in late winter and early spring.