Thread: Cortland BOSS
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 12:15 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cortland BOSS

Warning!!! This is a rant and you are forewarned! Enter at your own risk.

As I see it, fly fishermen are becoming geometrically more and more knowledgeable through forums like this one and I see no signs of a regression.

The AFTMA (American Fly Tackle Manufacturers’ Association) – now the ASA (American Sportsmen’s Association) - on the other hand, is perfectly content to remain retarded and in that regard, help to promote marketing gibberobabble at the expense of useful (to us) information.

I maintain that manufacturers don’t need outlandish marketing, just good fly lines and solid information about them that we can use to narrow down our line choices.

What use is the weight of the first 30’ of line to someone like Sweet and Salt who likes the “SA masterery expert distance” which has a head length of over 70 feet. Frankly, I wouldn't give a cat's furball for that "information".

Why does Rio use “head weight” to mean “the first 30 feet of the head weight” but only sometimes? They seem to know what the word “head” means in their spey lines.

A lot of knowledgeable casters think Rio publishes the actual real “head weight” on the main page showing their Tarpon Taper lines. I, too, was fooled until I actually weighed one and found it to be approximately 560 grains not the 428 grain “head weight” as clearly published on their website. That is more than the real weight of their 15 wt Leviathan billfish head.

I, too, wish Cortland well, especially after an email I got from someone named Joe in their tech department.

Joe went down to the shop and actually cut the heads off and weighed not just the two line weights I asked for, but all seven of the lines in that series – and added the head lengthsl for additional clarity on his own. Thank you, Joe.

Now, if Joe could just convince the head gibberobabble man to publish the below chart on their website, he would be doing fly fishermen the biggest service since the introduction of the original SA Air-Cell in the 50’s.

Cortland Liquid Crystal
6-9wt - longer head profile
6wt - 250gn @ 47'
7wt - 275gn @ 47'
8wt - 305gn @ 47'
9wt - 345gn @ 47'

10-12wt compact head design
10wt - 350gn @ 42'
11wt - 400gn @ 42'
12wt - 455gn @ 42'

PS: Sweet & Salt. I’ve heard rumors that one of the manufacturers will be coming out with a “12 wt” line with a longer head soon– whatever “12 wt” means.

PS: Joe, if this gets back to you, I did buy the Liquid in two sizes, a 12 wt for my old 12 wt tarpon rod and an 11 for my new 12 wt rod. So you can tell your boss that those chopped up lines were not totally in vain.