Thread: Rich Osthoff
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rich Osthoff

I spent two days with Rich in March fishing with him in SW Wisconsin. While my experience with him is not back country fishing in the Western US, I can tell you that it is a passion of his. I fished his ties for two days. Extremely effective, well tied and very durable. In fact, I was surprised at how long one of the flies I fished lasted. We simply sharpened the hook and went back at it. To say a I fished a single fly that landed 30 fish is not an understatement. That's durable to me.

Again, I can't comment on the specific patterns and how they will work in the back country. I can say that his WI specific patterns were effective and durable. I add to the fact his passion for the west as well as the amount of time he spent there and I think you will have flies that are winners.

As a side note, it takes a long time to get flies from Rich. He ties them all and will not take short cuts. I know he currently has a lot of orders because I'm waiting for one from him. If you do want flies from Rich, give him a call on the numbers listed on his website. He will take some time and talk with you as well as give you an honest answer as to the time to complete the order.

Cheers,
Mike.