View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fly Fishing in Galveston, TX

Take I-45 south to Galveston till you hit Sea Wall, then left (east). Proceed east till this ends and you will see a large salt water lake called "the Lagoon" on your right.

It isn't surf or bay with moslty hard-ish bottom. Though it does have quite a bit of what "Capt Mickie" on the 610 AM morning fishing report calls "Anuhuac Mud". Kind of a mixture of peanut butter and dog manure (Yahoo, sound like fun!!). When it gets thick stay by the grass for traction.

Often there is fair to good Red & Flounder fishing with the ocasional trout tossed in. I suggest slow sinking bright streamers or floating poppers in the #4-1/0 range. Any color as long as it has chartruse in/on it. I don't much care for Clousers here as they sink right to the bottom and become snarled in weeds. I try to keep my flies next to the salt grass. Think "sparse" when the wind whips up.

Slide your feet religiously or get Ray Gards as when there are gamefish there are stingrays. Neoprene boots that won't pull of in muck are a must. Wear long pants (too darn hot to wear waders now) as also when there are gamfish there are jellyfish, light nylon pants will protect you form these. Keep an eye out in the salt grass as there is always a possiblity of rattlesnakes.

Not trying to spook you but you need to be aware of the hazards. These apply to [B]ALLB]Texas coastal waters. Fun when you are prepared, bad news when you aren't.

4th July week/weekend there are always a lot of people. So get there just before first light and leave before 09:30 as it gets hot. SUNSCREEN, sunburns will ruin a trip.

I use a 8wt but at times use a 7wt, there seems to always be 15-20mph wind. 9wt will work but really will give you a work out as this is all blind casting.

You want wind as when calm the mosquitos can be very thick. No need for light leaders as the water will be off color so 15# is cool. 7' long; 4' - 50#, 1.5' 25#, 1.5' 15# tippet. Flouro works but sinks fast, not fun with poppers; mine are all mono.

Carry a net as flounders got a mouthfull of prehistoric teeth and darn hard to handle being flat. Use net for trout as they are easy to kill/injure with rough handling.

Pete A.