View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 11:10 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: DIY salt noob, Florida, Yucatan, pics

Thanks guys, it was a tough week for wading the flats by the resort. When the mangroves flood, they flush all sorts of sulfur smelling junk into the sea. The flat I could access was a natural catch point for all of the debris and fine material. No more fish were hooked after that first post, although I did give it a go every morning for a few hours. I spoke with some guys at the airport that were returning from Cuba; the same storm messed with their plans as well, but Cuba sounds very cool as a future destination.

Back on my home waters this morning I managed 2 carp in about an hour, more fish than I caught in a week near a resort in Mexico...

Things I learned:
1. high slack tide is good (when calm)
2. low tide and chop is not so good
3. 2 of 3 fish caught were during a downpour over calm seas (rain is good).
4. A real flats boat would have helped a lot, although the kayak was pretty good.
5. Casting from a paddle board while letting the wind and current drift the board is a blast. I saw lots of fish that way, including a nurse shark and some decent sized rays.
6. If visibility is poor, a blind cast over dark water can still produce a bonefish if you feel the take.
7. Barracuda will stoke your ego! Mean little buggers.
8. Learning on my own was an adventure, but next time I hope to hire a guide for at least a day. (with a boat to leave the resort madness...)

Can't wait to get back to the tropics. I am hoping for christmas in the keys on my girlfriend's parent's sailboat this winter. 'Sabalo' aka Tarpon is still high on my priority list, as well as 'robalo' aka snook. I believe the tarpon are still around the keys during christmas, at least they were two years ago when I first got to see one.
TB