View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Fishing in Galveston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratkins92 View Post
I am just getting ion fly fishing and don't know really anything at all. I want to go down to Galveston to fly fish. Where are the best spots to hit where i can wade out? Also what should i use as bait? Any other info you can give me about this would also help.

Thanks
If you are just learning fly fishing you may be biting off a big chunk at Galveston to start. I enjoy fishing the Aransas Pass - Rockport area best but live closer to Galveston. I enjoy fishing an area east of Houston called Anahuac. Go to Anahuac park south of town and drive past boat ramps through a open gate to the end of the paved road. Many acres of water to wade on the west side of road. Sea Trout, Red fish and Flounder. Beware this is the Gator capitol of Texas! I never see them in area listed above(to salty) but if you try to go into marshes in area of boat ramp then you will see gators. If tide is out you would mostly likely find red fish and flounder. With tide in all of the above are available. Fairly hard bottom.

If you are not locked into Galveston, and can afford a guide I recommend Capt. Dean Thomas, Slowride Guide Service in Aransas Pass. Just tell him you want to catch a red fish on fly and don't know how. He will take care of you. He will wade or take you out on kayak and then wading. Another choice is Capt. Scott Null in the Galveston area. Have not fished with him but he has a great reputation. You can google and get contact info for both of them.

Excellent advise from others on safety. I always wear long pants, long sleeve shirt, hat, buff, fishing gloves, and sunglasses. The sun in the summer is brutal. Do not pick up your feet while wading, only slide your feet slowly along the bottom as you wade. Stingrays will get you if you step on them. If a ray hits you go straight to the hospital and get treated. Do not delay. Also suggest it's best to not have any open sores exposed to the water.

Good luck and let us know how you did.