View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 10:18 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Distance Casting

I happened to watch The Fly Fishing Masters in 2003 sponsored by Ford. They had competitions in 4 different regions of the USA and then the winners in those regions competed against each other. The competitions was open to all comers and the winners for the most part were professional guides. The Rajeffs won the Western Region.

The 4 teams were flown by private jet to an unknown destination. Once there they were allowed one day to "scout" the river they were to fish. They were given fly tying materials and they had to tie the flies the wanted to use for the next day.

The teams fished over two days head to head, with the two winning teams of the first day competing against each other the second day for spot 1 and 2; and the two losing teams competing to determine spot 3 and 4. The Rajeffs cleaned up winning $25,000.00 each.

It's been a few years now and I can't recall whether I was talking to Jason or Gary Borger. I happened to mention that the Rajeffs won and he (Jason or Gary) said that the Rajeffs casting skill is so good that they can place the fly exactly where they want.

Skill as in the article is not only distance but accuracy. By accuracy, I do not mean only fly placement. It is also leader and line placement to reduce drag but also to prevent lining the fish and spooking them

In one part of the competition, the Rajeffs were fishing a pond from a boat. One brother fished and the other brother rowed. The fish were spooked whenever the boat came near so they had to set up far away and place the fly, leader and line where they wanted. They destroyed the other team they were fishing against because of their casting skills.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy