View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 01:03 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Distance Casting

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I happened to watch The Fly Fishing Masters in 2003 sponsored by Ford.
I was in that competition in the southeast region. My partner is a virtual fish magnet. That guy can catch tarpon out of a rain gutter. He is also a virtuoso fly caster. We were really doing well to qualify for the fishing through the casting qualifiers until the camera's started rolling. The grace, control and accuracy of his casting went right out the window when he was in the hot seat. I never saw anyone choke like that. It was amazing yet really sad.
I come to find out later from his school buds that he always choked at crunch time in any sport they played with him.
Anyhow, I really liked the format the Fly Fishing Masters used, to qualify to fish you had to first pass the muster in a casting competition. I think that is true of the Euro contests that caught on lately here too.
To cast well enough to win a competition takes pure skill, to get the right beat to fish in a competition takes luck. The Rajeff's sold their souls to the devil a long time ago to always do so well in both casting and fishing. The rest of us mere mortals have to roll the dice for the most part when it comes to having fish take the fly.