Thread: warmwater pics
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: warmwater pics

Here's the results of three days of low water on the Chagrin in the Cleveland area. I finally got what I was targeting, that being smallmouth, but the road was rocky and mostly unfortunately dry (the no water kind, not the fly kind ):
Day 1: Lots of creek chubs, hogsuckers, sculpins, and other assorted bottom cruisers. Highlight was a creek chub double. Certainly nothing spectacular:
Click the image to open in full size.

Day 2: SURPRISE! Low water again. Many suckers and other bottom-feeders again. Around midday I came across a giant school of carp and other bottom-feeders. Here are some results (and what they took), which I believe are a black buffalo (globug) and a quillback carpsucker (pheasant tail), respectively. I could be very wrong here (corrections welcome, apologies for the quality of the second photo, its a still from a video), but they were decent-sized fish and both put a good bend in the Allen Olympic 12' 5wt.

Day 3: Finally success! I had 30 minutes to run out and try to finally catch a smallmouth, and after about 10-15 minutes I got a solid take on a deep-running black Dahlberg Diver. The fish was almost immediately airborne and the spey rod was happily bent. There was much rejoicing. The first photo is another still-grab and the second is an iPhone shot.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...