View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 10:59 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Old Timer New Fly Fisherman, Equipmemt ID

I think the rod is a 5 for the same reasons...and I'd think the thing to concentrate on is lining it and seeing how you like it.

Joe, don't be silly. Take all your stuff into the friendliest fly shop in town and tell them exactly what you're telling us. rather than insulting them with stuff bought elsewhere, you are giving them an opportunity to sell you new lines, tools, flies, hats, nippers, waders, boots and on and on. They will be THRILLED to meet you.

Once there, cast various lines on your rod and see what falls out of that. You may want to invest up to 80 bucks on a new line. I wouldn't scrimp on line to get what works with your stick and matches up with how you want to fish.

Personally, I've gone away form all the flipping specialty lines (indicator, salmon-steelhead, streamer, etc) and just make sure I have solid all purpose floaters. I hate being on the water and having to change a spool or reel to go from nymphs to dries....and I don't find that a "nymph taper" is all that much better to fish with a bobber than a regular wf or dt floater.

Go to a fly shop if you have one available...

-Mike