View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 11:03 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Tying Books.....

I had a book (cant remember the name) that has since been passed on to a TU chapter and I used various magazines to study the patterns. Dave Hughes writes great books and Charlie Craven has some incredible patterns and tutorials. I haven't seen his book though I have heard nothing but great things about it.

Back when I began, you would be lucky to find as many SBS's as there are today. Mostly what I was able to find was a picture and recipe. I'm kind of glad I learned to decipher the recipe and apply that to the pattern. There are still some instances where this comes into play today.

Where I learned the most and where I spend most of my time learning these days is youtube. Davie McPhail, Hans Weilenmann put out some incredible stuff. There are so many other good ones. Just search the pattern you are attempting to tie and watch several versions.

One thing I learned long ago, but has been reinforced through videos is that there are several different ways to perform techniques that can be used in various other patterns. Just find the technique that fits you best and roll with it.