View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 06:25 PM
mikeo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Me??? A fly fishing writer?!?!?

One final thought -- this was the first fly fishing article I'll have published as I've said; well, first one I got paid for any way -- I have a few others that have been accepted or submitted (after sending in query to editor) but I've found out that if you want to make a living as a writer, then you have to have a lot of articles on the go -- most magazines don't pay until 30 days or so before actual publication of issue -- so that means if you really wanted to make a living as a writer (especially a fly fishing writer) you'd have to have a number of articles going out or being worked on (have stuff submitted or have made a query to an editor first on) -- you'd have to plan for this -- or just write part-time; which is where I'm at for now (later who knows) -- what is it they say about "don't give up your day job" LOL LOL -- always good to have something else to fall back on -- but it is fun to write -- especially about things you love
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach