Well the popper ride has been a roller coaster. I am not happy with how these turned out, but at least I learned what to do for next time. I painted over the sharpie, then coated with one coast of delta ceramacoat.
The things I know I need to improve are:
1) Apply several coats of paint, instead of one.
2) I need to find a way to improve the eyes. I tried to apply them with a brush and it wasn't happening.
3) I have no idea how to tie the legs in where they look more like they should
4) Also improve the blotting for the dots on the back, I used the brush again and it was tough.
5) Finally I will probably do at least 2 coats of varnish next time.