View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 05:42 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some montana trout

A whitefish is a whitefish is a whitefish. It is a salmonidae, or in the trout family. Grayling are also salmanidae.

Mountain Whitefish - Montana Field Guide

When your trout fishing, you just have to accept catching some whiteys. I can usually tell within 3 seconds of hooking one that it is whitey, so the disappointment factor is low. But the other night I casting to rising fish all around me on glassy hole of the Clark Fork; I drifted my parachute over a close riser and was pretty surprised to find it was whitefish, and decent sized one. I counted that one as legitimate catch that night. When you nymph one after the other, then I get frustrated.

But (rolled up and) smoked, they are tasty little suckers!

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer View Post
I don't understand why some call whitefish trash fish. Whitefish are good indicators of the health of a stream. They can only live in the cleanest streams unlike trout.
I agree 100%. They are, most of time, the only native fish in most Montana streams.