View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 02:51 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default The niche game...

Some people only care about targeting and catching large fish. A lot of people refuse to target smaller fish. Just about everyone refuses to climb, hike and bushwhack for small fish. However, to some people, that is their niche. My niche is targeting small beautiful fish in beautiful places. Brook trout in cold water and my new found warm water treasure, the red eye bass. When I learned that Alabama has brook trout-esque water, but contains redeye bass instead, I was sold. Plans were made, and I left Saturday morning at 4am for my destination.

I arrive in awe of this beauty in my home state that I had never seen before. I also am a little skeptical that I have to get down there on that river.
Click the image to open in full size.

I get closer to where I will make the descent, and I am still dreading the hike down (not to mention my lack of though about the hike back out).

Well, after a quick 10 minutes or so of a knee-jarring, toe-jamming downhill hike, I arrive to the water. I put my rod together and start casting. It's roughly 7am at this point.

I concentrate on the current and after 3 seconds after my hopper hit the water, it disappeared.

A small, but beautiful redeye. This is what I came here for. Make a few more casts and drifts and I score again.

I'm starting to think it could be a banner day of catching. I climb around an obstacle in the river.

I find another promising stretch of water and get to work.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur