View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 12:11 AM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Some montana trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
A whitefish is a whitefish is a whitefish. It is a salmonidae, or in the trout family. Grayling are also salmanidae.

But (rolled up and) smoked, they are tasty little suckers![COLOR="Silver"]
Always good to learn something new. When reading about whitefish when i first started fishing I ran across a few pieces talking about them as closely related to Grayling. I guess you cannot call them than in Montana to be confused with Arctic Grayling. Which I have only caught a few but I know there is similar features with both and assumed they were of the same family (which they are) but figured they are more like each other than other salmanidae.

Whitefish are more than trout angler’s consolation

The awesome color of a arctic graylings dorsal makes graylings one the coolest fish to have on a fly imo. My first was out of the bighole area, then another out of west rosebud lake and that its VERY RARE to actually catch one out of that watershed. Very very cool fish to admire.

I agree that our Mountain whitefish are great eating too. Since every one considers them trash fish no one seems to glare at me for keeping 1 or 2 now and then. Though I do practice catch and release for the rest