View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Beginner question about leaders/tippets

I second the furled leader suggestion--- then you can just replace 'tippets' based on the size of fly you are heaving. A general rule is to take the size of fly and divide by 3 (give or take a size or two)-- size 12 fly-- use a 4Xtippet. Size 6 fly-- use a 2X tippet. Of course, in the last example: size 6 fly, 2X tippet-- you could reliably use the same 2X for sizes 4 and 8 flies as well. This 'formula' will turn the sizes of flies over nicely in the cast and give them a realistic appearance in/on the water.

I fish mainly warmwater (like you sound like you are going to) and I use a furled leader and either 4# or 6# mono 'tippets'-- usually 4#. It is good to know the tippet sizes, but don't worry about sticking strictly to them too much....