View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 12:58 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: What is (Insert Fly) supposed to imitate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post

Great replies everyone! The thought just hit me while tying up a couple telicos the other day. I mean, consider the telico nymph: yellow body, with peacock herl rib....... I know of no nymphs that look quite like that, yet fish in the smokies love them. And don't even get me started on a prince nymph!
You have to view things from a fish's perspective... things look different under water than they do in the vise. The Telico is a good example; where you see yellow floss and peacock herl, underwater it probably looks very much like a drown stonefly washing by. Many cased-caddis worms have a yellow body as well... the Telico could be viewed as a dislodged caddis worm in the process of rebuilding its case (stage of vulnerability).

The body (silhouette) of a Royal Coachman could be viewed as an ant profile... or the contrasting red band could be viewed as a developing egg sack (E. vitreus has a bright red/orange egg sack inside the body).

Peacock herl is magic underwater... it quickly goes from bright green to bronze once wet and has a very buggy overall appearance. The Prince Nymph probably resembles a lot of things, and matches none.

The key to a lasting, effective pattern is impressionism and emphasis of "triggers"... the more real a patten looks, the narrower its window of usage IMO. Remember, many times trout have a split second to make the decision to eat or pass. I guess the thing is, let the fish judge how things "appear" versus how they "look" to us.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring