View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 01:37 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salmon River, NY Chinook

Cohos generally come first with the first heavy push of Chinooks in mid Sept. The entire river will contain fish early on the estuary and Douglaston are very productive. Douglaston in my opinion is worth the money only because there are some great holes and holdover spots. The fish when they are on the spawn clean their redd out by sucking debris through their mouth and out. In this situation dark and black flys drifted at the right depth are the ticket. Egg flys work as do streamers in the lower river early on. Depth of presentation and drift control are the key factors in hooking up.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

15 and 20ft casts are more the norm and town can be a circus when it's crowded. Public areas all have fish and I've had 30 lbers next to my feet staging!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser