Thread: Live bait?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Live bait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue View Post

Anybody ever use tiny live or pieces of live baits when fly fishing?

Also, with floating lines is it possible to use wet flies, by adding some sort of weights to push down the line?

Thanks, GB
On the first question, No is the answer. I bait fish occasionally, but never have with a with a fly rod. I recently thought it might be a good way to teach someone how to fight a big fish on a fly rod--hooking a carp on corn isn't too hard and then you can learn to handle a fish with the long rod. A newbie flyfisherman might be waiting for a while before they get a chance with a big fish on an actual fly.

The second question is part of an eternal debate. Weight the fly? use split shot? (or both?) invest in sinking lines? I recently got myself a sink tip for my floating line.... and soon had the loop connection fail and the thing fly off forever lost into the depths.