Thread: E Sierra Sights
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default E Sierra Sights

Well, last week I had the chance to share some of my favorite places with my wife and friends, Steve and Karen Benjamin, from Washington. I fished VERY LITTLE during the week, but had the best of times, listening to their excitement over the wonders of this beautiful country...

We arrived Saturday evening in time for steaks at Steve and Karen's camp site and made plans for the next day, to include a drive down around the Mammoth Lakes area.

I'm the ugly guy on the left, Steve is on the right.

Click the image to open in full size.

Steve and Karen...they are a hoot.

Lunch at the overlook/entrance to Devil's Postpile. The San Joaquin River runs in the canyon below, flowing from here into SF Bay...we're sitting on the Sierra Divide. The jagged peaks in the background are the Minarets and that area is the back side of Kings Canyon, I believe.

If you've wondered how Hot Creek got it's name...it's right across hwy 395 from Mammoth Lakes...

My wife (Beth) hadn't ever seen a beaver pond, so we explored the high country behind Lundy for a while.

Steve, pondering

There's a story behind this (above Lundy) that I've forgotten...have to hunt around and find a source.

Mill Creek, below the ponds

Next day we headed for Bodie, but I wanted to share Dynamo Pond 1st. Here's why...

View down the pond toward the dam. It's maybe 100 yds long and 40 yds wide. I did fish it later in the week. Nice little browns and bows in here. Landed 2 of each in about an hour in my tube...

Bodie

Bodie in winter....40 below and heavy winds...10,000 miners and families here at the high point.

The Benjamins had to head back north the next day, so Beth and I took a walk above Virginia Lakes.

Here's Beth with Big Va in the background...

...and enjoying the miner's cabin...

We climbed past Blue and shot it from above. We're pushing 10,500 ft pretty hard right here...

This is Cooney...where we turned around. We only walked maybe 3 miles...

Jeez, I'm leaving SO much out...Later in the week Beth and I walked just a bit up the Lyell Fork of the Tuolumne, up form Tuolumne Meadows on the back side of Yosemite...took my 2 wt and caught little brookies and browns while Beth walked a little further up...

There's so much more....we took several hundred shots...I think I got a passing grade for tour guide services...Fished in the mornings for an hour or so, walking from my cabin to the outlet of Little Virginia and just wading the shallows for brookies. But this trip was really about sharing...

I think my wife has a better understanding of where and why I go now and a love of this country of her own. On the way home she was talking about another visit and was excited when I told her some of the OTHER cool stuff we had no time for this trip...a good sign.

Thanks for looking...hope you enjoyed it. I sure did...-Mike

Last edited by mikel; 07-23-2012 at 02:30 PM.