View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: walleye fly fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfig19 View Post
Hello Diver Dan,

I'm a fly fisherman from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I keep hearing our local rivers have walleye. But most of the fishermen use a traditional rod with bait and so on....my question is....do you have any tips for southeastern PA. I mostly fish for trout pretty much all year long and do well enough. I also catch small mouth bass and among other types of warm water fish. But this walleye has really caught my attention and I'd like to try and get me one via fly fishing. I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter, Good day to your sir.

gfig
Howdy and welcome to the forum. I have never fished SE PA. but Walleye are Walleye where ever they are. I have found that for Walleye you can't beat the Clouser Minnow. On rare occasions you do get Walleye feeding on top and I have flies for that also. My Canadian fishing buddy and I spent a lot of time last Fall working on top water flies for Walleye and we came up with a few that work pretty well. In the Summer, especially late, like August, in many places Walleye will come shallow into weed edges. I suspect they are looking for leeches, and even if they are not, they will hit a leech pattern pretty well. With the Clousers, it pays to have a lot of color patterns. They do not have to look like native baitfish either. Walleyes are a fish that like odd bright patterns sometimes. Look at the colors they have on Reef Runner lures. I have some tactics for them that work pretty well. If you let me know what kind of area you plan to be fishing I can help tune you into a strategy that will hopefully put you on some Walleye.

As a side note, we have a few years under our belts on the Walleye on a fly thing, and have come to the conclusion, if you want to get big Walleyes, flies work better than any way I have ever tried. The average size we get up here fly fishing, if I told you, you would think I was telling a tall fish story.

P.S. I'm PMing you my phone number. Call me. I stay up pretty late.