View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 11:34 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Level leader question - fly sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Yeah, I saw that Lefty recommends that (50% leader step-down). I love that guy -- I'll take whatever he says and just assume that he's correct .

Hand tied leaders are pretty easy actually - I tied a few this evening using the perfection loop...

I also took Lefty's advice and taught myself to tie the non-slip mono loop knot. It's actually pretty easy to tie and seems strong.

Thanks guys!
Loop to loop connections within your leader are going to create multiple hinges and greatly hinder the function, particularly with heavy flies.

I've seen the seaguar knot but never used it, is it nice smooth transition? Another good and easy to tie knot is the double uni, it will work with two different sized lines and I believe is safe to connect mono to flouro due the fact it is essentially to jam knots against each other.

But you are right, hand tying leaders is not hard and pretty fun. And I've found they cast far superior to any tapered leader. If you really get into it, it's worth learning the blood knot...it is not as hard as it is made out to be.