View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: double hauling on a stream/river

The harm isn't in double hauling itself, but rather fishing from the wrong spot and having more issues with getting a good drift because of it. Generally speaking, I try to position myself downstream and to the side of where I'm trying to drift my fly, and within 30' of it. Any further than that and you'll often be overwhelmed by constantly fighting drag.

I constantly recommend this DVD because it does a great job of showing the importance of positioning in order to best fish a given spot-
Amazon.com: Successful Fly Fishing Strategies: Gary Lafontaine, Dick Sharon, Jeffrey Pill: Movies & TV Amazon.com: Successful Fly Fishing Strategies: Gary Lafontaine, Dick Sharon, Jeffrey Pill: Movies & TV

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.