View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Jumping Grayling!

I know you had a ball just the way you wrote your story. Even though I see them feeding on Caddis and May Flies I've not used a dry for years. You might want to give a streamer type fly a go one of these days. I use a fly that is fancier than would be needed but am sure it works so I keep using them. If you look on the Flies For Alaska Salmon & Steelhead thread right at the top is the Nine Three, either style tied to a 34 or 6 streamer hook will do. Sounds big huh; it seems that wherever there are 9" Grayling eating flies on the surface there are bigger ones underwater. that's how it is where I fish them anyway so I stick to the wets. Since last year I've been using a fly called, Jock O' Dee that I learned how to make by participating in Allan's (Pocono) salmon fly tie along. They are supposed to be salmon flies but I've caught everything that swims around here on them.

Just saying, try some larger wets that will look about the size of young Grayling - trout - char - or salmon, and see if it'll work for you too.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;