Thread: Gar On The Fly?
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 10:15 PM

Poke 'Em has a spectacular aura aboutPoke 'Em has a spectacular aura aboutPoke 'Em has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Gar On The Fly?

I'm assuming you've got longnose gar. If they're shortnose, then I'd probably just go with a really stout rod and give 'em hell when you set the hook. But if they are longnose, then I'll offer this advice (copied and pasted from the advice I gave in a previous thread):

I've caught who knows how many longnose gar on a fly. Here's how I would do it (we don't have to have a hook on the end, but that can be easily remedied):

Take any large hook and cut the point off at the bend. In your case, I would then tie in a very, very small hook to the shaft of the first hook, as you would if you were tying an articulated fly. As far as tying the nylon in, I start with 1/4" nylon rope and very heavy thread. Wrap your hook shank with thread, then tie in about 2-4" of rope. The amount of rope you use depends on how big of a rod you have and how good of a caster you are. The shorter flies are much, much easier to cast. Anyway, tie the rop in and use a LOT of pressure. I usually also add a little flash and some bucktail, but it's up to you. Then unravel your rope, and I usually cut some of the pieces of nylon on the outside shorter than the ones in the middle. This creates a more fishlike profile.

On another note, when you fish these flies, I usually like a very slow, methodical retrieve with a sinking line. And I hold my rod out to the side while I'm stripping the fly. The reason for that is, as soon as you feel a strike, you want to immediately give the fish as much slack as possible. By holding your rod off to the side, you can quickly point your rod at the fish, and then start feeding him line. If you try to "set the hook" when the fish strikes, you'll lose the vast majority of your fish. Give him some slack and count to 20 or so. Then ease up on your rod. When you give the fish slack, he'll sit there and chomp on the fly, and entangle himself. Do it this way, and you should land upward of 80% of the fish you get to strike.

Oh, I highly recommend against tying in any weight. These flies soak up water and will sink just fine without it, and they're heavy enough as it is when it comes to casting.