View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: How do you hackle your buggers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
Traditionally I've alwaystied my hackles in on the back of my bugggers and wrapped forward. However, some of the recent tutorials I've looked at show hackles being tied in at the front and secured in th back with copper wire. My question is: does this technique really hold the hackle in place? It would seem to me that only securing with a copper wire would let the hackle come loose if a big fish got his teeth in there. Thoughts??
IMO, you're actually looking at it backwards. Copper wire is actually much tougher than a hackle stem, so as long as the wire's wrapped snugly and well secured at the front, buggers built that way are considerably tougher.

Also, when you tie the hackle in by the stem at the head of the fly and palmer it back, the hackle fibers are all pointing backwards. This makes it easier for the wire to over-wrap the hackle stem without laying fiber's down, as the fibers are more perpendicular to the wire as you're wrapping it.

Lastly, putting the stem of the hackle at the head of the fly means you've got longer fibers at the head that will better simulate the head of a sculpin, and also push more water.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.