View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 12:12 AM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How far can you cast?

I remember needing a 70' cast to rising fish on the opposite bank of my favorite river when I was about 3 months into flyfishing....I could not get there! It was very frustating to say the least. My cast was cork screwing and dying around 50'. I was always self taught and never could gather enough info (knowledge)through books and videos to further my casting abilities. Then....a breakthrough....I purchased a float tube and all the gear thats needed for stillwater. I had an intermediate line setup on my outfit and was determined to fish stillwater effectively. I was fishing 2-3 times per week and having to false cast line just to lay out a good distance to strip in streamers. This is what molded me into a good distance caster all the while doing it from a seated position. The density of the intermediate line, false casting, and timing to keep the line off the water in my backcast helped me in achieving good distance through practice. It's also what turned me onto fast action rods which are a staple for my stroke. The faster action rod generated more line speed which resulted in more distance. Everything was faster for me...casting stroke=line speed=distance=fly in the water sooner. Thankful for sinking lines.