View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 03:01 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If You Use a Two Hand Rod;

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastroutbum View Post
Ard, I have been lurking at the Spey forum for a while and it appears that a large number of members suggest for a 4 wt for trout. So I am leaning toward that. But you seem to suggest that 6 or 7 weight can deal with trouts in Alaska.
I am confused. Please enlighten me. I am just guessing that the rivers in Alaska has so many species that 4 wt can be outgunned when or if you hook a king, and so it is safe to go with 6 or 7 wt. But as you can see I am in the dark.
I would not look at weight of the rod / size of fish , with spey rods. Look at the size of the water. Spey rods are a delivery system for a fly. Farther away needs longer heavier rods. The fish is not the important factor here. If you think 4 wt for Trout and can't reach them the rod is worthless. If you have a 17 ft. 11 wt with a long belly line and are fishing a spot 40' wide the rod is almost useless. Less useless than the 4 wt that can't reach the fish though.