View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 07:28 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hook set: Rod, strip, both?

It's been my experience that it's one of those things that you have to develop as you go for different species, and sometimes different situations. For me, I probably use a strip strike more than anything, then raise the rod to get the pressure on the fish. Took me a long time to get out of the habit of striking with the rod. I still do it with other tackle, and have even gotten away from the cross their eyes Bassmaster type hook sets with other tackle. Still, it's a hard habit to break & sometimes I still get carried away.

Most of the fishing I do is for bass, or Striped Bass & they tend to hit hard, so strip strikes work well, as many times they'll hook themselves. When I fish for panfish, I still just lift the rod, even though my intention is to use a strip strike. They often hook themselves too.

My biggest challenge is with topwater flies, since seeing the strike and reacting is natural, and striking with the rod is natural. Still, I know to be patient, not over react & strip strike when I feel the pull. Just doesn't always work as I intend!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!