View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 10:45 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A switch outfit for trout?

I have been reading extensively about a switch rod set up for trout and bass. So my question is what is your verdict for the switch rod set up for trout?
I have been lurking SpeyRod forum and found that a large number of anglers are leaning toward a 4 wt spey. But that is Spey rod selection, which according to my thin knowledge, has different taper and heavier.

I have seen somewhere that some guys are happy with 4 wt switch. And yet other guys are in favor of 5 or 6 wt based on the idea that 5 wt or 6 wt is more conducive to throwing big flies.

My primary purpose will be present a nymph rig for trout in a big river and swing streamers (perhaps wollybugger size 4 to 8). I also want to cast at the Lakes in Texas to chase after big bass. If I get a switch rig, the first place that I would like to try is San Juan river and after catching trout with size 24 midges all day, I would like to swing some big streamers for fun.

thanks in advance.