View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 09:05 AM

yinzyaker is on a distinguished road
Default advise on a new rod

I just recently started fly fishing and am looking for a second rod. I purchased a TFO ticr x 7'6" 8wt as my first rod. I went with a shorter rod because I do a lot of kayak fishing and went with the smaller rod so that is it easier to land fish in the kayak. I am happy with they way it casts for fishing smaller water and tight spaces. I recently went out with a buddy and used his Orvis Access 10' 8wt which I really liked thought it was a great deal easier to cast than my shorter TFO. I will mainly be using it for bass fishing in Northern Va, but also would like to have something I could use for Stripers in the Potomac, and Steelhead in the streams near Erie PA. I am thinking about purchasing another TFO ticr x 9' 8wt. I like the idea of the coversion kit for spey casting, which is something I would want to try eventually. I was also looking into the Lefty Kreh professional series. Looks like they a med. fast rod compared to the ultra fast Ticr x, any advantages/disadvantages of either I should consider. I was also at some of the Allen Rods, just not sure which model would suit me best. as far as size goes I think I want a 9' or 10', any major reason to go with one over the other. I am not looking to spend a ton of money,and hoping to stay in the $200 range or lower on this purchase. Any advise is appreciated.