View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

For what you're targeting, I'd try a 10' 8wt Allen Xa. For the Erie steelhead and bass I would go with a 7wt but the stripers, if only because of the wind, push it up to the 8 (it will also help throwing the bigger bass bugs). I say the 10' over the 9' both for ease of casting from your yak and for managing drifts on the steelhead streams, and it also allows for the use of spey-style casts, which become very useful on those long days on the trips. I use Allen Xa's in sizes from 6-10 for everything from carp to bull reds and snook, and of course for steelhead. The action is medium fast and pleasant to cast and the price is real good too. The warranty and customer service can't be scoffed at either. Hope this helps!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...