View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 02:02 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Eureka! There's gold(ens) in them thar hills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer View Post
That sounds like an awesome trip. Im going to be attempting a trip of almost the same proportion to catch my first golden trout. I just don't think they'll be that big. Very nice.
I see you're close to the Beartooths, which is arguably the second best place in the world for backcountry goldens. I am headed there in a week. I think I'm just gonna have to buck up and see if I can't make it into Lightning Lake (held the state record for goldens until some years ago - current record at Cave Lake in the Crazies). I know it's very toiugh to get to and that Lightning gets fished very hard by locals and outsiders taking a crack at the record. But 18" goldens are still common possibly. Also thinking above Cave Lake but hear the 8 miles of hiking is hellish. I believe the quote on this lake is, "only hike to Cave if you love torture!!!"

I also have a lead on a brook trout lake high up in the Beartooths off trail that supposedly spits out obscenely obese 15"+ brookies and 20" cutts.