View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 02:02 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Eureka! There's gold(ens) in them thar hills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer View Post
That sounds like an awesome trip. Im going to be attempting a trip of almost the same proportion to catch my first golden trout. I just don't think they'll be that big. Very nice.
I see you're close to the Beartooths, which is arguably the second best place in the world for backcountry goldens. I am headed there in a week. I think I'm just gonna have to buck up and see if I can't make it into Lightning Lake (held the state record for goldens until some years ago - current record at Cave Lake in the Crazies). I know it's very toiugh to get to and that Lightning gets fished very hard by locals and outsiders taking a crack at the record. But 18" goldens are still common possibly. Also thinking above Cave Lake but hear the 8 miles of hiking is hellish. I believe the quote on this lake is, "only hike to Cave if you love torture!!!"

I also have a lead on a brook trout lake high up in the Beartooths off trail that supposedly spits out obscenely obese 15"+ brookies and 20" cutts.