View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WF or DT for 3wt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Silver,
Kudos for taking the effort to explain this topic in such a simple fashion . I also enjoyed reading the info via the url.
Thank you for the kind words.

I think I have posted this before on another thread but I'll repost it here.

For 4 wt line and below, I use DT lines by cutting the line in half. Then I add Cortland floating running line to the cut end of the DT with a loop to loop connection made by whip finishing the fly line core into a loop. When I wear the first line, I swap it out for the other half. It is how we used to make our own WF and shooting heads.

The spare half a fly line stored in a cool dry place on the original spool will last longer than putting the whole line on the reel. There is an extra expense because you need to buy a spool of running line, but I have used the same running line for many years. The running line comes in several diameters. For the 4 wt buy the thinnest .027".

You have now basically made your own extended head WF fly line with a spare extended head. That is how the "old fly fishing fogies" tweaked our fly lines.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy