View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why so many spinner colors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
The red/orange light at sunset and dusk causes the naturals at this time of day to take on an orange reddish tint. Flies of this color fished at or near dusk will catch more fish than flies that are identical the color of the naturals. An orange spinner fished at sunset will "match the hatch" no matter what the color of the natural.
Gary LaFontaine covered this extensively in (I believe) his book The Dry Fly: New Angles in the chapter about his theories of attraction.
I've applied these same principles to my saltwater fishing and matching your fly color to the color of the sky brings noticeable results not only at dusk but at all times of the day and night.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

The internet is wonderful thing

The Dry Fly: New Angles - Gary LaFontaine - Google Books