Thread: 2-piece blanks
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2-piece blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFlinger2421 View Post
Well, I looked at 4 piece rods by a number of manufacturers today and every one had thead wraps on each of the female ferrules! This indicates to me that the female ferrules are a weak spot. Each ferrule also adds weight which detracts from the action, decreases the dampening of the rod and negates the weight savings resulting from the use of brittle, high modulus graphite. I see a number of negatives and only one advantage: the case is easier to pack! As for that, I like to put mine in a lightweight PVC tube and use it as a hiking staff. It comes in handy when hopping from rock to rock crossing small streams
Am I wrong?
They are not weaker, there is no disadvantage. I build rods and own a ton of 4 pc. rods. My two hand rods which take far more stress than any little rod you are going to use and make them look like toys are all 3 and 4 pc. So wrong wrong wrong, and then....wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFlinger2421 View Post
Doesn't anyone make 2-piece blanks anymore? Sage doesn't, Loomis doesn't, St. Croix doesn't.........
I guess I will just have to live with the rods I have!
I have not checked the other makers yet but St. Croix does make 2 pc. blanks. So again, wrong.

Back to ignore mode, which I only broke to stop bad info from spreading.

Last edited by Guest1; 08-12-2012 at 02:47 AM.