View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 02:48 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why so many spinner colors?

I use two spinner patterns. One is tied with twinkle organza wings. Search google for "Borger Twinkle Wing Spinner". The other is tied with a wing of pale cream hackle palmered over the thorax and clipped top and bottom. The tail fibers are the fibers from artists paint brushes that I use on place of microfibbets.

The paint brushes come in different colors. I have found white and the tan below. The parachute adams between the two was tied with the paint brush fibers. The dark tips of are imperceptible on the individual fibers.

Click the image to open in full size.

The only difference between the pink lady spinner and the sherry spinner is the body color. Blue Ribbon flies sells custom dubbing for the pink lady and that is what I use. As I recall it is a couple of bucks a package. An orange/red dubbing can be used for the body of the sherry spinner.

Why the two wings and not the poly that everyone seems to use? Poly seems to fold up when ties on larger flies. I use the pale cream hackle for larger spinners. For the smaller spinners, I use the twinkle organza that adds the glassine sparkle of a spinner wing. Larger wings with the twinkle organza have the same problem as the poly wings. They get deformed and curl back with casting.

The sherry spinner and twinkle spinner work off of the same theory. That is the theory of the super trigger. The theory is that if a fish is looking for a specific characteristic to match a search pattern, enhancing that characteristic can act as a super trigger that attracts the fish to the artificial over a natural.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy