View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 03:38 PM

navycop10 is on a distinguished road
Question Best bang for the buck.

I have recently come into a small amount of money, about $600, and I am looking to finally get my first "real" fly rod. I am looking at 8wt or bigger, and for salt water. Reds, bones, baby tarpon etc. What would be the best quality rod/reel/line combo for under $600? I have been looking at the Orvis Clearwater 8wt, as Orvis is the only non-off-the-shelf-at-bass-pro-kit company I have dealt with, and for less than $350 for the whole outfit, seems like a good deal. But with so many other great brands out there, Sage, G. Loomis, TFO, etc, what is the best rout to go? I know the pre-assembled kits are a bit of a sin in fly fishing (so I am told), are they still a good way to get quality for low cost, or should I piece a kit together on my own, and from what company(ies)?

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to hit the flats!

Greg H.
CEC, FMP, SLBT, Lc. P.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” ― Abraham Lincoln

“The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are the constitutional rights secure.” ― Albert Einstein