View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 10:10 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: How to fish a popper properly?

Poppers can be "Popped" in many different ways depending on what action or imitation you are looking to impart. Hard long line strips will push water foward in spurts imitating fleeing baitfish. Shorter strips with a downward motion will cause a pop like struggling prey. Juggling the rod tip with out any line motion has the effect of something that landed and wants to get away. Short stop and go can look like a retreating frog. Stripping and moving the rod tip from side to side is snake like and can bring big strikes. Try various approachs until you find the most consistent one for the area and species you are after.
Long time ago I was two hand stripping a big popper in saltwater for bluefish. This guy says to me slow down you'll get more fish. With that a blue smashs my popper to go along with the 5 I had already landed. There are times that every retrieve is hot and times that you have to match the action. The only way to know is to experiment and find what works for you.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser