View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 07:20 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to fish a popper properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
I let my poppers sit with no movement most often. They sit still most of the time and most of the strikes I get come after 5 seconds or so. When I do move then its often just a very minute twitch to get the rubber legs to move. And Lastly I will give them a twitch usually with the rod tip just to make one small pop. I never retrieve them in popping along the way.
By the way I am fishing smallies exclusively.
I'll second this approach. I get most strikes within the first few seconds of splashing the popper down. And I do mean splashing them down. Make some noise. If no hit right away, that small second twitch will often convince any lookers to pounce. I'll seldom pop it more than a couple of times after that.

And I'm fishing largemouths, though mostly river-dwelling ones that act more like smallies than their stillwater bretheren. I'll acknowledge that fishing ponds or lakes might take a little different approach. Popping there might make more sense.

Like everyone has said. Experiment and see what works in your neck of the woods.

Sep