View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ordered a 2wt today

Michael,
I have two of the CT8036 rods (3wt, 6piece) because I really enjoy them and find them perfect for my backpacking small stream trips. Once you cast you rod a bit, you will notice that choosing a very lightweight reel may not be the best choice since these rods are a bit tip heavy. I have found that the CFO III, Cortland Retro 2 seem to do a nice job on balancing my 8036 model.
Since your 2wt is shorter, perhaps the Cortland Retro I might be fine. I prefer to go with 'classic' click and pawl type of reels on my very light rods (2wt, 3wt). Casting these light rods is a lot of fun and really spoils you since they are very sensitive and help you feel even the smallest of the fish.

As far as line is concerned, the Sage Quiet Performance Double Taper (on closeout these days) works wonderfully with my 3wt & should be perfect for your 2wt. In fact there is a 2wt version of this line on sale on the auction site. In my opinion you do not need a weight forward line on these light rods. Further, the CT series are very 'traditional' casting slow rods so the 1/2 heavy lines (GPX, Grand etc) are cumbersome on it.

Casting into a strong wind is pretty hopeless with a 2wt, but I am sure you already knew that