View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 09:58 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Identification anyone?

My entomology skill-set is obviously not as good as many, but I don't believe this is Ephron Luekon aka White Fly. I'm very familiar with those, having fished the hatch a couple of weeks ago. Those are larger than the photos I've posted here. White Flies in my area are somewhere between 12 and 14 bodies with very long tails.

I also don't think this is a Trico, the body on this was almost a chalky white, and had a little grey to it. What was interesting is there was no hind wing, just the two. Also note the mottle only on the front of the wing. I'd guess this guy to be maybe a size 18 hook size. It was definitely smaller than the dime which may not come across in the photo all that well.

I was thinking maybe some species of Baetis Cochise. Good guess as any so far with the call on Calibaetis.

I'm still clueless on what it is, but it's pretty cool and thought I'd share. I suspect it to be coming from the Ohio River.