View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Muskie on the Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman1 View Post
Hi folks,
I am looking at starting to fish Muskie next summer on a fly rod and wonder what size equipment I should be rocking. I currently have a 9wt Orvis. I know I will need a pretty heavy duty leader due to the teeth but should a 9wt rod work
A 9wt. will do it but you would like a 10 better. As for the leader, starting at the fly line; Perfection loop and cut the line off at 39" from the loop. Blood knot the next smaller line you plan to use and cut it off 39" from the blood knot. Tie a Bimini twist, I generally use 20 lb line. Cut the loop in the Bimini, and furl the lines loosely ( 1 twist every 3/4" or so) and tie a grannie knot in the end so it stays furled. Take a piece of nylon coated steel leader and bend a piece back about 2" long or a bit longer. Albright knot the bimini with the furled double line to the steel so the bimini ends up 4 or 5 inches from the albright knot. When you tighten this up, hold the bimini with the single line and the same with the steel and pull with the tag end of the bimini in your teeth. Figure out how much steel you want accounting for what knot you are going to use to put the fly on with and then cut from that point the rig at 39". As for the knot I use to attach the fly/snap/or split ring (any will work) I use a twist melt. Just put the fly or whatever, where you want it and then just like the name, twisst the leader tightly and melt the nylon with a lighter. I have never had one of these come loose ever. I looks like the weak spot but it is not. Given the amount of line you loose in knots, at least the way I do them, this should come out to 9' give or take an inch. Some people like a shorter, like 7 or 8 foot leader, but I have never liked nor seen the need for them.

Let me know if you have any questions.